Derby / Bloor Derby / Royal Crown Derby

History and Information

Royal Crown Derby is renowned for their exceptional quality bone china. Its reputation is known all over the globe and as one of the oldest and most famous porcelain manufacturers, it is a name that is highly desirable. Because of this Derby porcelain is a popular collectable item and therefore relevantly expensive. 

Royal Crown Derby’s history transports us back centuries to its very beginning, in and around the 1750’s, when Andrew Planche first established a china works in Derby. He soon became partners with William Duesbury, who had acquired the Chelsea China Works in and around 1770, by the early 1770’s Derby porcelain was already recognised for its excellence.

William-duesbury

In 1775 King George III granted that Derby porcelain could include a crown in its stamp, in 1786 William Duesbury died however his son succeeded him and set about making Derby China Works the best in Europe. Huge developments ensued in glaze, decoration, body and some the world’s most skilled ceramic artists practised here. It was during the period 1786-1795 that some of Royal Crown Derby’s most desirable works were made. 

However in 1797 at the tender age of 34, William Duesbury II died, leading to a downfall in the company’s fortune until 1811 when Robert Bloor took control of the company and acquired a team of fine artists. In 1877 a new factory opened on Osmaston Road in Derby, the company continued to grow and diversify. 

In 1890 Queen Victoria awarded the company royal warrant, they were appointed ‘Manufacturers of porcelain to Her Majesty.’

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Image Credit
William Duesbury: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Duesbury