9 Kt Yellow Gold J.W. BENSON Pocket Watch 1920
You are bidding on a 9 Kt yellow gold J.W. Benson pocket watch, made in England in 1920. The total weight is 73 grams including the movement.
DIAL: The white enamel dial has thick black Roman numerals with outer minute divisions. The dial has blued hands and a subsidiary seconds dial at the six. The dial is signed in the upper centre: " J.W. BENSON, LONDON".
MOVEMENT: The keyless wind movement has 15 jewels with club tooth lever escapement and is in very good working order, however we cannot guarantee accuracy for an antique pocket watch. The movement is signed: " J.W. BENSON, 15 JEWELS, SWISS MADE, REF 939".
CASE: The pocket watch lies in a 9 Kt yellow gold case with a smooth finish. The inner side of the case is signed: "Made in England" and has the JW logo.
Signed: J.W. BENSON - Diameter 48mm
Made in England - 1920
J.W.Bensons started up as a partnership between Samuel Suckley Benson and James William Benson. They traded as S.S. & J.W. Benson until 1855. From this time on James William continued the business under his own name, J.W. Benson.
J.W. Benson was a highly regarded London based watch and clock making company which traded between 1849 and 1973. They also produced fine jewellery, although are better known for their watches and clocks. During the 19th century Benson was watchmaker to the Admiralty and also held a number of royal warrants including Queen Victoria in 1879, and the Prince of Wales. Three grades of high quality watches were made, The Field, The Bank and The Ludgate, intially being made in key-wind and later as keyless models.
In 1878 James William Benson died aged 52, and his sons Alfred and Arthur continued the business. The company's premises were: Cornhill (1849-64), Ludgate Hill (1854-1937), 25 Old Bond Street (1872-3) and 28 Royal Exchange (1892-1937). Their original workshop was at 4-5 Horseshoe Court (at the rear of their Ludgate Hill premises) and in 1892 they became a limited company and moved to their new 'steam' factory at 38 Belle Sauvage Yard. During W.W.I. the factory was bombed and from this point on the company no longer manufactured its own watches, but continued as a retailer. The timepieces, bearing the company name, used high quality movements supplied by Swiss manufacturers such as, Vertex and Longines. Bensons continued until 1973 when the name was sold to Garrards, the Royal jewellers.