In 1879, William Finnigan opened a Finnigans shop at 18 New Bond Street in London. Soon, American millionaires such as the Rockefellers, the Vanderbilts and the Fords joined the house's customer base. Opposite Finnigans on Bond Street was Asprey: the two houses enjoyed a friendly rivalry that led to fruitful commercial developments.
The house of Finnigans was once one of the finest British leather goods makers and a successful luxury goods retailer. Renowned for its traditional know-how and craftsmanship, Finnigans manufactured and produced a wide range of luxury products, including trunks, bags, fashion, jewelry, timepieces, and silverware. In 1968, Finnigans closed its New Bond Street store in London. The company remained a family-run business until it shut down its last store in 1988.