Charles Hindley (b.1792-d.1871) moved to London to live with his Uncle and in 1817 at the age of 25 joined the upholstery firm of Benjamin Merriman Nias located in fashionable Berners Street. Hindley must have had an entrepreneurial spirit as within a few years he had purchased the Nias business through a family loan. He continued to sell carpets but during the 1830s branched out into upholstery and cabinetwork as well. In 1832 two of his sons joined the family business and in 1844 they bought out the noted furnishing firm of Miles & Edwards (1822-1845). The takeover was highly strategic as it provided Hindley with the expanse of Aristocratic and wealthy customers loyal to Miles & Edwards. They moved into the Oxford Street store in 1845.
Charles Hindley & Sons was a true furnishing business providing everything from carpets and wall coverings to furniture and mirrors. Naturally well designed and constructed, their pieces reflected the popular Gothic Revival and Aesthetic styles popular at the time. Their works were exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851 as well as subsequent noted Exhibitions until the firm finally closed its doors in 1892. Today the Charles Hindley & Sons stamp on surviving furniture is appreciated and collected for its superior quality and elegant design.
At LoveAntiques we have a good selection of original pieces by Charles Hindley & Sons as well as other influential retailers of the past.