Clement Heaton (1824- 1882) founded his own stained glass firm in 1852, joined by James Butler in 1855. Between 1859 and 1861 they worked alongside Clayton and Bell and were joined by Robert Turnill Bayne (1837-1915), who became their sole designer and a full partner in the firm in 1862. The firm was known as Heaton, Butler and Bayne from 1862. Bayne's windows show strong design and colour, and are often recognisable by at least one figure with Bayne's features and long beard. They established their studio in Covent Garden, London, and went on to become one of the leading firms of Gothic Revival stained glass manufacturers whose work was commissioned by the principal Victorian architects. A change in direction came with their production of windows to the designs of Henry Holiday in 1868, which show a more classical influence. During a long career, the firm produced stained glass for numerous churches throughout Britain, the Empire and the United States.